Full-Time Community Relations Director (Chicago, IL)
Nonprofit client is seeking a dynamic Director of Community Relations. The Director of Community Relations is responsible for developing and facilitating the implementation of projects related to community relations and being a valued ambassador to various communities. This person must work successfully with representatives from various communities, organizations and neighborhoods with respect to the diverse populations and cultures, serves and seeks to serve. This position reports directly to the VP, Marketing.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
1. Work with community-based providers and staff to develop and implement programs that promote health and access to health in designated communities.This position facilitates alignment of community mission goals across teams at the organizational level.
2. Develop and promote community relations opportunities. This position is responsible for developing policies and implementing programs at community events. Recruit and engage staff and affiliates in these activities.
3. Represent the organization at community meetings. This position serves as a principal representative of the organization, maintaining and developing relationships with key external contacts and the community at large.
4. Work with health centers, PCPs and specialists to develop community relation plans and promote new and on-going initiatives in their areas. This position creates a vision and identity for a significant team, and helps to promote that within the communities that they serve. It is recognized as an organization-wide resource that is responsible for providing tools, guidance and opportunities for staff to realize their full potential.
5. Work with health centers, community-based organizations, insurers, and community coalitions to develop programs, events, and new initiatives that promote marketing and community relations objectives.
6. Establish the Office of Community Relations as the department within the company that relates to the health needs and concerns of the communities that we serve. This position requires internal contacts outside the department in situations requiring resolution of conflict, negotiation, or collaboration on significant projects. The office of Community Relations receives numerous calls ranging from requests to concerns and complaints, and follows up to ensure that each is handled in a timely and optimal manner.
Qualifications/Skills & Knowledge Requirements
1. Bachelors degree (Masters preferred) in public health, social work; or related field. Minimum 5 years experience in community work.
2. Excellent communications skills, both written and verbal
3. Ability to work effectively and independently with all levels of clinical and administrative managers within the hospital and with community leaders.
4. Strong leadership qualities leadership experience.
5. Demonstrated program development and implementation skills.
6. Ability to represent the company effectively in a variety of settings and with diverse communities. Demonstrated understanding and appreciation for diverse cultures.